Configuring GOJO Computers
Step-by-step instructions for configuring GOJO computers, iPhones and iPads.
In order to take advantage of our proprietary Firm technology, it is necessary to configure computers, iPhones and iPads. This work is generally done by our administrative staff. Each major step is detailed below, in expanding procedure boxes. If you have questions, please seek help!
General setup for new machines
- Remove computer from packages.
- Attach protective shells (use care to avoid cracking tabs that hold shell in place).
- Attach power cords, and plug into a wall outlet or extension cord.
- Turn on computer, and complete Apple’s automated start-up procedure to get to an ordinary desktop. [Note: enter name of new user as email@example.com when prompted for an Apple ID; the password will be the user’s standard Firm password. Note: do not use personal apple id for this step, even if the user wishes to do so.
- When prompted for WiFi, connect to GOJO Secure 5GZ. The password is “jurisprudence9557” [Note: there is no password for GOJO Guest or GOJO Guest 5GZ.]
- If desired to preserve data or apps, migrate from previous GOJO computer using Migration Assistant or iCloud backup/restore.
- When prompted for password, use employee’s standard Firm password.
- In Finder, click “Go” and then “Connect to server” and then connect to either afp://10.100.1.6 (in the office) or afp://phenom.gojolaw.com remotely (to save address hit the +)
- Install Microsoft Office 365, using this link, or try https://login.live.com/. It will be necessary to log in as an administrator.
- Find an unused user account (if one is available) from the Install List, and reconfigure with the new user’s name and other data.
- Log out of Office 365 and log back in to Office 365 as the new user.
- Install Office 365 using the self-explanatory process which appears when first logging in under the new account name; be sure to install newly licensed versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, and other Office 365 apps as the attorney may require.
- IMPORTANT: Change keyboard function keys to work with the Firm’s standard Normal template in Word. In Finder, Click the Apple icon, click System Preferences and then click “Keyboards”, then under the “Keyboard” tab, check the box for “Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.”
Setting up new GOJO Gmail email account (laptops and desktops)
- In Google Mail in Chrome, click “Settings” under the gear icon. You will need to log in as a Google account administrator.
- Click “Manage This Domain.”
- Click “Users.”
- Add a new user, and follow the procedure guided by Google.
- In System Preferences (click the Apple icon), select “Internet Accounts“, and then click the “+” icon to add a new account.
- Click “Google.”
- Fill in the boxes as guided, using the user’s Firm email address and Firm password, which must be stored in the master password list.
Configure email signature banner (desktops & laptops)
- Open Apple Mail.
- Click “Mail” and “Preferences.“
- Click “Signatures.“
- Click “+” to add a new signature, and type any text at all into the signature box, to make a placeholder signature.
- Name the signature “GOJO Signature” and drag it into the GOJO mail account, as shown below:
[Note: the image will not be visible in this panel but should be visible in new email when you select the GOJO Signature.]
- Switch to Finder by clicking on your desktop.
- Hold down the [option] key and click “Go” and then “Library” Note: the Library item will not be visible without holding down the [option] key.
- Navigate to this folder: ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData/
- Open the latest signature file with the “.mailsignature“ extension in Text Edit, and click “Unlock” to edit that file. [Note: lock and unlock Text Edit files by clicking the ∨ symbol beside the file name and check or uncheck the box labeled “Locked” as needed per these instructions.]
- Click the link below to open a new browser window that will contain new text to copy into the “.mailsignature” file. When you click the link below, the new window will open in a separate tab, or a separate window. Drag that tab or window to a new spot on your desktop so that you can see it at the same time you see these instructions together with the “.mailsignature” file you just opened and unlocked.
- Click here to open the new browser window containing the new text for the “.mailsignature” file.
- Delete all contents of the “.mailsignature” file that you have open, and copy all of the contents from the new browser window into that file.
- In the new “.mailsignature” file, change the name from “Lawyer Name” after the long dash to the correct user’s name.
- Check to ensure that your new text file looks like the image below. Small changes matter. Be sure that there are three separate paragraphs, and that there is at least one carriage return at the end of the file; otherwise the signature will not load.
- Check “Lock” and save the file.
- Quit and re-start Mail. [Note: this step is essential to see the results correctly; otherwise the banner will display as a page-wide banner.]
- Check your work by opening a new email. The banner should look like this, only with the correct user’s name:
- Send an email to yourself, and check that it looks as it should; then click the banner to ensure that it leads to the firm website.
Installing Word and other Microsoft Apps
Installing Word and other Microsoft Apps
- Open a browser window and type gojolaw.sharepoint.com into the address bar.
- Click the waffle image on the top blue bar to the left of the “Sharepoint” logo.
- On the menu that opens, click the “Office 365 →” link.
- On the next page that opens, click the “Install Office” button.
- Select the option that says “Office 365 Apps.”
- Complete the installation as with any other newly downloaded app.
Installing the Normal template in Word
To ensure that all documents generated by Firm employees, it is important to replace the “Normal.dotm” with the Firm standard version. For further details on the use of the template, please see the separate procedure entitled Installation of Firm Word Normal Template.
The steps are:
- Download our standard normal template by clicking here.
- Click anywhere on your desktop to switch to Finder.
- Click [option] while in Finder, and then click “Go” at the top menu. Then click “Library.”
- Click your way to the proper location, which is found on this path: ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Templates (Word 2016 and later)
Drag your newly downloaded normal template (Normal.dotm) into the folder where you see the old version.
Click “Replace” when the dialogue box appears.
- Close Word and reopen Word, then open a new blank document.
- Test the function keys to be sure they perform as designed (as detailed here).
Set up VPN for remote GOJO server access
- Download the VPN Mobile Config file by clicking here.
- Double-click that file from the download location (usually Downloads or Desktop).
- Click “Continue” twice.
- Type in the username (the first initial and last name of the employee).
- Type in the employee’s standard Firm password [Note: this is the computer password, not the server password, but they generally should be the same; if the computer has no password, simply hit “Enter“].
- In System Preferences, click “Network” and then scroll down to the VPN setting you have installed using the above steps.
- Click that VPN account, then check the box that says “Show VPN status in menu bar.“
- In the box for “Account Name” enter “GOJO VPN.“
- Click “Apply.”
- Click “Authentication Settings” and input the user’s password.
- Test away from office or when disconnected from physical network connection using WiFi account “GOJO Secure” or “GOJO Secure 5GZ” [Note: no password needed for this free WiFi]. The VPN will not connect when connected by physical network wire to server or when using GOJO Secure.
- Click the Apple icon, then click “System Preferences.”
- Click “Printers & Scanners.”
- Click the “+” icon beneath the printer list.
- Select the printer(s) you wish to add. [Note: SAVIN MP C4503 is “Enterprise” and SAVIN MP 3054 is “Voyager.”]
- Click “Add.”
Download and install Daylite
- Have Julie Godfrey create new account in Daylite (this requires her Administrator access).
- You will receive an email with the link to download Daylite.
- Download the software.
- Log in with the employee’s Firm email address as the username and the employee’s standard Firm password.
- Download the user’s account using the menu options.
Install the "Rename files for SharePoint service:
Purpose: This is a script that removes SharePoint illegal characters, shortens file names to accommodate the 400-character limitation of both Windows and SharePoint.
Details: If the file name is longer than 145 characters, it shortens the filename to the first 145 characters, which leaves room for the use of nested folders in SharePoint sites. The service appears when you right-click on a folder and select “Services” and then “Rename files for Windows.” That is all that is needed; the service works quickly. For a listing of character substitutions created by this script, click here.
- Download the “Rename files for SharePoint” workflow by clicking here.
- In Finder, hold down the [option] key and click “Go” then “Library” and then “Services.”
- Drag (or copy and paste) the workflow you downloaded in Step 1 into the “Services” folder.